With 40% grants available now under the Countryside Productivity Small Grant Scheme https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countryside-productivity-scheme#round-2 which closes on the 4th September, there is no excuse for livestock farmers to be still guessing the weight of their cattle! You can now get weigh cells to go in your cattle crush/race for less than £1,000 after grant. They will pay for themselves within a few months. Here are some of the benefits.
• Serve breeding replacements at correct weights resulting in more productive lifetime production.
• Weigh finished cattle prior to slaughter to work out killing out % comparing cattle breeds.
• Assess cattle growth rates on particular diets, or at certain times of year.
• Ensuring cattle are achieving target weights for specific ages for e.g. two-year calving.
• Knowing the weight of an animal, you can accurately calculate what the animal dry matter intake should be to ensure optimum performance.
If you are not measuring it how can you manage it? Here is a way of becoming more efficient to counter the increasing pressure on beef margins.
If you need help or advice on the Countryside Productivity Small Grant Scheme, contact Emily at email@example.com or your local FCG office.