Farm Diversification & Rural Business Consultants
FCG takes a balanced and individual approach to farm diversification and rural business. We pride ourselves in using our business and analytical skills to help clients decide whether diversifying away from core agriculture is the right thing for them to do for their business.
FCG does not see diversification as a cure for the problems of a weak agricultural business but rather an opportunity for clients to use their skills, resources and assets to the best of their ability. Initially a decision must be made as to whether the client is looking to diversify their assets, their income stream, their time, or all three.
A number of projects have been undertaken with grant funding over recent years but we have assisted many in going ahead without grant funding on good commercial terms. In these instances clients have been able to obtain funding or reorganise their own resources to generate capital to invest in diversification without the restrictions that grant funding can impose.
FCG consultants work closely with other professionals where appropriate in areas such as planning consultancy and marketing and sales advice. Additionally we are able to use our own range of skills to help clients develop the necessary changes to their business. In particular we have to make them realise the importance of the development they are taking on where they are dealing with members of the public, where strong customer service can be crucial. Diversification projects undertaken by FCG clients in the last few years include:-
- Multi Farm Business via equity partnerships, LLP and contract farming
- Free range poultry
- Farm shop/marina development
- Vegetable production and large scale soft fruit
- Goats cheese production
- Planning justifications for dwellings and agricultural buildings, fishing and accommodation
- Yoghurt, cheese and ice cream
- Camping and caravans
- Wedding and events venues
- Wind and water turbines
- Adventure parks
- Property lets/holiday cottages
- On farm processing milk/and meat/on farm retailing/box schemes
- Livery enterprises
- Quail farming
- Cherry orchard enterprise
- Milk round
- Hamper business
- Civil and agricultural contracting
- Caravan storage
- Self storage units
- Office units/industrial lets
- Agricultural garden machinery workshop
- Renewable energy generation
This is not an exhaustive list. If you would like more information please contact your nearest FCG office before you embark on any of these, or similar, projects.